lunedì 25 ottobre 2010



Che ci posso fare? La Millay mi piace tanto! E guardate com'era bella!




FROM A FEW FIGS FROM THISTLES
BY EDNA ST. VINCENT MILLAY

SONNET III

OH, think not I am faithful to a vow!
Faithless am I save to love's self alone.
Were you not lovely I would leave you now:
After the feet of beauty fly my own.
Were you not still my hunger's rarest food,
And water ever to my wildest thirst,
I would desert you–think not but I would!–
And seek another as I sought you first.
But you are mobile as the veering air,
And all your charms more changeful than the tide,
Wherefore to be inconstant is no care:
I have but to continue at your side.
So wanton, light and false, my love, are you,
I am most faithless when I most am true.


OH, non pensar ch’io sia fedele a un voto!
Infedele son tranne che allo stesso amor.
Non fossi tu adorabile or or ti lascerei:
E dietro la bellezza volerei.
Non fossi tu raro cibo per mia fame,
Ed acqua sempre e sempre per mia sete,
Io t’abbandonerei – non pensarlo ma lo farei!
E un altro e non più te cercherei.
Ma tu sei mobile come mutevol aria,
E le tue grazie più di marea incostanti,
E quindi di esser incostante non mi curo:
Io devo continuare al fianco tuo.
Così, lascivo, sincero e falso, sei tu, mio amor,
Io sono più infedel quanto più sincera son.

Traduzione di Ipazia

1 commento :

  1. So wanton, light and false, my love, are you,
    I am most faithless when I most am true.


    Ci avrei giurato!!!

    RispondiElimina